28.11.10

ZINESWAP


A really cool website that started out with people being able to publish their own work. Now, ZINESWAP is a big deal with a lot of projects and even an iPhone and iPad application that allows you to buy different “zines” by different people. I think it’s a cool concept and it’s again one of those “why didn’t I come up with this?” internet ideas.

I knew about ZINESWAP for a while now, but never really spent much time on the site (because, unfortunately, I didn’t have much to share, nor, after seeing the high level of work, did I want to look like a cheesy third grader writing a “How I Spent my Summer” paper). Anyway, regardless, I came across ZINESWAP again while reading an article in Dazed & Confused. They wrote about a real awesome zine called Dead Ends by Theo Simpson, which consists of photographs of different discarded job applications. I’m not always a big fan of huge movements that take place in the art world when something big happens globally. I feel like many times, instead of getting creative, work sometimes becomes redundant. From time to time this is the case with the current underlying subject of pretty much everything – the economic crisis and everything that comes with it. Nevertheless, in my opinion, Dead Ends is an exception. On top of that, anyone who can take the single least creative object, a job application (a blank one that is, because the filled out ones can get real original), and turn it into a piece of art, deserves to be checked out.

Visit the website of the project here, and, if you ever have a minute, or have something to share for that matter, check the ZINESWAP website out: (www.zineswap.com)

On a totally different note, but no less creative, tomorrow is El Clasico!!! I am a die-hard FC Barcelona fan, so I will be nervous and giddy all day long. VISCA BARCA!

No comments:

Post a Comment