21.11.10

Vogue Italia November 2010








Vogue Italia's November issue has a very beautiful cover story editorial that is called "Venus in Furs". Shot by Steven Meisel, it stars models Freja Beha Erichsen, Alla Kostromicheva, Andrej Pejic, Iris Strubegger, Iselin Steiro, Michael Tintiuc, and Tomek Szczukiecki. You can find the making of video and additional photographs on Vogue Italia's official website.

I found this to be a refreshingly minimalistic approach to showing fashion products while also telling the story. Lately, I feel like there is such a bewildering amount of clothes out there that stylists are forced to either make crazy choices to stand out or overdress the models to show as much as possible. This editorial goes the completely opposite direction by undressing the models.

I can also appreciate the story behind this. I would be surprised if the nakedness of the models has nothing to do with the hot topic that fur has been lately. While fur is the star of this editorial, I got the message that the stylists are asking us how we feel about the topic of whether or no it is OK to use real fur in fashion, or whether it is a cruel practice that even looking fancy isn't worth? I was attracted to the photographs mainly because I found them well done and different. I think the way the bodies are intertwined is very sensual without giving anything away. But, the more I think about the idea of fur vs. no fur and the concept of all of us having a skin that we care for and have to protect, the more I like these images.

No comments:

Post a Comment