15.1.11

Fou Drummers


It’s been some time now that the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing have ended, and I don’t remember that much about them, except that China won pretty much everything, Russia didn't, and that my hero Roger Federer finally got his Olympics Gold in doubles with fellow Swiss man Stanislas Wawrinka.

I recently came across a photograph from the opening ceremony in Beijing, and I was blown away by the performance by the drummers. They are called Fou Drummers specifically, and there were exactly 2,008 of them to commemorate the year of the Olympics. The photos are pretty impressive, so I can only imagine how amazing it was to watch them live while they do their sequence in unison. Unfortunately, I did not manage to find a video of the performance, but I did learn that the Fou Drum is an ancient Chinese instrument that is pretty big in size and was used to play in rituals, until it became widely used during the Confucian times. 

Check out more pictures from the ceremony after the jump!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment